Vision 5 Presentation and Installer
Vision 5.x Installer Download for New Installations and Existing Vision Update.
The instructions in this document have been updated as of 24 August 2017
This page is used to install the latest version of the Vision program - Vision 5.15. Use the installer on this page to install Vision to host computers that have never had Vision installed or to update computers that have older versions of the program already installed.
Vision may be installed on any Windows
host computer running Windows 7. These include Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported. The same installer can be used for 32-Bit and 64-Bit host computers. For documentation purposes, 64-Bit host computers are assumed.
To Update Existing Vision Installations:
The Vision 5.6.x (and later) releases offered a more up-to-date installer than previous versions. Changes include:
Vision program installed from this page will operate all Precision
Testers, regardless of model or age, that connect to a separate host
computer through a USB cable. It does not operate the Precision
Workstation or original Precision Pro/Premier with internal CPUs.
- New look.
- No random "Disk Space Errors"
- C++ Manifest installation is embedded instead of executing after the installation. The installation may require a reboot, but will only execute on initial installation. Updates will not require a re-installation of the manifest.
- Vision 5.6.x included a data plotting library update. The data plotting appearance is slightly different. The right-click Export bug has been repaired.
- Installer updates to Version 5.6.8 and later do not need to have the previous Vision installation uninstalled. Just download the installer and run it. Older files will be updated by date and new files will be written.
- Copy C:\DataSets\xplorerdb.cpu and C:\DataSets\Editor List.EL to temporary locations. You may not
find all three of these files, depending on your use of Vision.
C:\DataSets\xplorerdb.cpu is the important file. NOTE: If the existing Vision Version is 4.9.2 or later this step does not need to be taken.
- Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel and select "Add or
Remove Programs..." NOTE: If you are updating from Vision 5.6.8 or later, this step and the next step do not need to be taken. The latest installer will update the existing installation
- When the program list is populated, scroll down to and
double-click "Vision". Allow the program to completely
- Download the installer under the Vision 5 download button below.
- Run the downloaded installer. Acknowledge all warnings and allow the installation to proceed. At the end of the installation a separate Microsoft Visual C++ program will run that will update Windows files to run with the Vision program. Allow this program to run to completion.
- If installing to a 32-bit Windows version (XP, Vista, 32-bit Windows 7), and updating from a version older than 4.7, then you will need to uninstall and reinstall your tester from its registration in the Window program. Please refer to 32-Bit Tester Reinstallation.pdf for assistance.
- Return the backed up xplorerdb.cpu, and Editor List.EL to C:\DataSets\, overwriting the files from the
installer. Note that you will not need to repeat the backup or
restore steps in the future. NOTE: If the Vision Version being updated is 4.9.2 or later this step does not need to be taken.
- If Vision fails to start after updating, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Radiant Technologies\Vision\System and sort the file by date. Look for and remove any *.vlr files that are older than the current installation. In particular, Poling.vlr and PiezoTest.vlr have been withdrawn. Do not remove TDB.dst, even though it is an older file.
To Install Vision to a Fresh Host Computer:
Note that you must install Vision before connecting your Precision tester for the first time. Simply download the installer under the Vision 5 download button below, and run the installer. Acknowledge all warnings and allow the installation to proceed. Details of incremental updates are presented below under "Vision Version Log".
Latest Vision Installer - Vision 5.15.7 - 20 November 2017
Support for Windows XP and Vista has ended.
NOTE: This installer is not for use with the Precision Workstation
or original Precision Premier/Pro with on-board computer.Please Note the Following:
- At the end of the installation, the installer will open a link to the Radiant Technologies, Inc. YouTube page. This page provides a variety of general topics and topics directed at specific and specialized equipment and software. This will only happen on initial installation. Updates do not open the page.
- Vision may be installed by anybody and may be installed to any number of host computers. A Precision tester does not need to be purchased to license Vision.
- Several Task Suites in Vision - including Piezo, Chamber, Magneto-Electric Measurements and Transistor Measurements - must be purchased to operate. The Tasks in these Task Suites are installed by the installer and are available to everyone for review. Everyone can recover and review data collected by licensed versions of the Task Suites. In order to actually operate the Task Suites, the Tasks must be licensed. A file named Security.Sec is shipped to customers who have purchased one or more Custom Task Suites. The file is copied to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Radiant Technologies\Vision\System folder. The Security.sec file is keyed both to the Task Suite(s) purchased and to a code in the specific tester for which the license is issued. The Task Suites may be licensed on any number of host computers, but the licensed is not transferable to other testers.
To Install the Precision Tester:
Vision Version Log:
- For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 host computers, Precision Premier II, Multiferroic, LC II and RT66C tester shipped after July 2014 will install themselves with no action required by the user. For RT66B tester and other Precision testers older than July 2014, additional action must be taken within Windows to allow the tester to install. Please refer to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 Tester Installation.pdf.
- Connect the tester to a USB port on the host computer and turn it on.
- For RT66B and original Precision LC (not LC II) testers, follow the installation instructions in Step-by-Step 64-Bit Installation. These documents were also included in the tester shipment.
Version 5.15.7 - 20 November 2017:
- Driver 5.15.7 fixes an error in Precision Premier II and Multiferroic Rev F testers.
Version 5.15.6 - 6 November 2017: Version 5.15.5 - 18 October 2017:
- Fix a bug that was causing the Read Temperature Task to crash.
- Continued Task Instructions update.
- Revert to older Precision RT66C firmware to correct an error in high-voltage measurements longer than 570 ms.
- More Task Instructions updates.
- Minor corrections and updates to various Tasks pursuant to the Task Instructions updates.
Version 5.15.4 - 10 October 2017:
- Fix an Editor Aide bug when importing Tasks to the Editor List from a file.
- Update the CS 2.5 DC Field and DC Current Tasks to allow the user to specify signal in units of magnetic field (G), with a Field/Signal conversion ratio or in the Tasks units: Current (A) or Voltage.
- Continued updating of the Main Vision Help and Task Instructions
Version 5.15.3 - 22 August 2017:
- Updated the Editor Aide tool so that Tasks moved into the Editor Aide from the Editor retain all configured parameters.
- Main Vision help update that includes figure updating in early pages to conform with new dialog structures.
Version 5.15.2 - 21 August 2017:
- Completed dialog reorganization and Task Instructions button update.
- Driver update related to the internal 200-Volt amplifier rev H.
Version 5.15.1 - 8 August 2017:
- Continued dialog reorganization: OK and Cancel buttons moved to the upper left to be accessible on all monitors; Text fields resized to allow dialog size reduction; Icons set to modal background only; etc. (This update is not yet extended to all Tasks.)
- Repair to Leakage Task. The Task was crashing Vision when recalled from a DataSet Archive.
- Repair to the HV amplifier selection dialog. The dialog would not allow channel 2 to be selected for a two-channel HVI.
Version 5.15.0 - 1 August 2017:
- Driver update (version 5.15.3).
- Tester firmware files (*.hex) updated for the RT66C.
- Updated labeling for late-model tester amplification levels.
- Expanded dialog reorganization: OK and Cancel buttons moved to the upper left to be accessible on all monitors; Text fields resized to allow dialog size reduction; Icons set to modal background only; etc. (This update is not yet extended to all Tasks.)
- Task Instruction control replaced by a button with the Task Instructions bitmap as background. This should make it more evident that Task Instructions is a control to be clicked. (This update is not yet extended to all Tasks.)
- Project and all Tasks updated to version 5.15.0.
Version 5.14.2 - 18 September 2017:
- Driver update (version 5.14.9.
- Tester firmware files (*.hex) updated for most testers.
- Data Mining update: Using the Back button to return to the Task Type Selection dialog tab from the Task Selection dialog tab, and to change the Task type selected, was crashing the program. The process now works for that particular case. Changes to other Data Mining dialog tabs accessed using the Back button still need investigation and correction.
- Main Vision help update.
- Task Instructions update for several Tasks.
- Dialog organization update for several Tasks.
- Task Instructions control updated to a Task Instructions button with the Task Instructions bitmap as background.
- Updates to Set Temperature, Chamber, Remanent Chamber and Imprint Task control of the Delta 9015 thermal controller.
Version 5.14.1 - 1 August 2017:
- Driver update (version 5.14.6.
- Error corrected. Registering a DataSet at a drive root (C:\*.dst, D:\*.dst, etc) rather than in a folder path (C:\<folder>\...\<folder>\*.dst,) caused Vision to crash. Vision would then fail to start until C:\DataSets\xplorerdb.cpu was deleted. DataSet files (*.dst) may now be registered from a drive root folder.
Version 5.14.0 - 27 July 2017:
- Sufficient accumulated recent and new changes to update the major version number.
- Main Vision help opens on Vision startup. This can be disabled under "Tools->Options->Vision Startup and Misc.".
- Add global seeing of 1.0 nF Capacitor and/or 2.5 MW Resistor and/or Reference Ferroelectric internal reference elements under the Editor right-click "Assign Parameters" tool.
- Main Vision help pages update.
- All Tasks to version 5.14.0.
- Various minor updates.
Version 5.13.12 - 7 July 2017:
- Driver version 5.14.5. Includes updates for the release of the Precision LC II Rev F hardware.
- Various minor updates.
Version 5.13.10 - 26 May 2017:
- Add the FFT Filter Task and Task Instructions. The Task is in TASK LIBRARY->Filters->Math.
- Fix the Long-Duration Current Task.
- Various minor updates.
Version 5.13.10 - 26 May 2017:
Version 5.13.9 - 16 May 2017:
- Driver 5.14.2.
- Updated Main Vision Help.
Version 5.13.8 - 16 May 2017:
- Fix Voltage Lockout feature errors.
- Update the enabling, disabling, setting and clearing of various controls in Editor Aide.
- Help page and Task Instructions updates.
Version 5.13.7 - 15 May 2017:
- Driver update - Version 5.14.1.
- User-Adjustable Low and High-Voltage Lockout in the Options... dialog.
Version 5.13.6 - 9 May 2017:
- Driver update - Version 5.13.9.
- Fix Bulk Export ETD selection.
- Replace "Kepco" with "Generic" in the magneto-electric Task suite.
- Fix I/V Task Text exporting
Version 5.13.5 - 1 May 2017:
- Add an Editor Aide toolbar icon.
- Increase the toolbar icon size and add a border to icons..
- Add Task Comments setting to the Editor Aide tool.
Version 5.13.4 - 27 April 2017:
Version 5.13.3 - 19 April 2017:
- Correct Advanced C/V and I/V preset auto amplification setting.
- Correct PUND Profile Preview.
Version 5.13.2 - 18 April 2017:
- Driver update.
- New release of Internal/High-Voltage selection dialog. Allows users with a new High-Voltage Interface (HVI), with internal EERPROM, released after 10 April 2017, to select alternate amplifiers and update the EEPROM.
- Repair to QuikLook configuration of the General Information Task.
Version 5.13.1 - 6 April 2017:
- Driver update.
- Update to TDC Hysteresis to fix centering on all data plots.
- Data Mining updated to allow 10,000 Tasks of the selected type. Previously the maximum number was 1000.
Version 5.13.0 - 3 April 2017:
- There is no single significant change that resulted in this moderate version update. Instead, an amalgamation of many smaller changes call for an update to the version. These include:
- Incorporate Vision temperature and magnetic field control, using a MultiVu Macro, of the Quantum Design PPMS.
- Add independent custom Branch Loop duration periods to the Waveform Task.
- Allow user selection of any programmed model of High-Voltage Amplifier (HVA) in external HVI/HVA high-voltage measurements.
- Significant corrections to the tester driver.
- Other minor changes and additions.
Version 5.12.10 - 21 March 2017:
- Eliminate .NET installation mistakenly added to the installer under 5.12.9.
- Update Measurement Task Amplification Level lists for some testers under some configuration conditions.
After downloading, run the installer. Then, start Vision from the icon that appears on the desktop. To learn to operate Vision go to the Help->Help Topics menu and examine the tutorials pages. These will very quickly make you proficient in basic and advanced program operation.
After installing Vision, be sure to check regularly for updates by returning to the Vision download form and selecting the "Update" installation option. Updates are performed using Self-Extracting Executable files and updating only the Vision files that are necessary.
Good luck in your Vision experience. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, comments or difficulties.
Scott P. Chapman
Radiant Technologies, Inc.